SOME POETRY




Where are you now?
To my father – who was a real poet!

There we were
Mid conversation
About this and that -
Nothing profound
Or perhaps it was!
Turned my back for just a moment
You are no longer around!

I miss your counsel
Your wisdom and the way
You saw the world.
Ignoring the flaws
In the folks of every day
Concentrating only
On the good in humankind
Feelings hurt so easily
The curse of a creative mind!

You left abruptly
One nondescript Saturday morning
When November was still new
Immortalising the day -
When rain glazed pavements navy blue
And autumn was still dressed to kill.

You’re no longer here to listen
You would have understood!
These myriad glimpses of Heaven
These moments of perfection.
When reaching for the phone
To tell you of these wonders
Discuss what it was all about,
Search for the right word
And where it should be placed,
Share with you a moment
Tease an idea out!
But I was but a butterfly
Flitting in and out!

Where are you now?
Is there a heaven after all?
You didn’t return to tell me
You said that you would!
It would be your mission
To convince me if you could!

Time is trundling onwards
The years and flitting by
Your absence still wounds me
Sends a tear to my eye
As I strolled the golden
Sandy beach at Spanish Point
I saw you silhouetted
A little to the right.

I thought I saw you resting
In the front seat of a car
Was that you coming toward me?
I thought so,  from afar!

But If I want to find you
All that must be done
Is skim and scan your precious pages -
In each and every one
Your words, your thoughts
So carefully constructed
You are there forever more
Remembered and revered.

Sometimes late at night
As I climb the stairs
I catch a glimpse of that place you sat
When you came to stay.
Maybe it's my imagination
Or maybe just the breeze
But I could swear that office chair
Gave a little sway!

You were that wandering minstrel
Set out for Tír na nÓg.
But you didn’t need to search
You were already there!
Strolling and reflecting,
Blazing your unique and gracious trail
You never left, you stayed put
In your beloved Meath.

A poem with some verse – dedicated to my father who taught me how to see!

By Anne Murray Browne




_________________________________________________________________________________



  LAHINCH BEACH



Low tide, long walk
Barefoot at the edge
Of brisk Atlantic waters.
Who left these footprints?
These works of art -
Multiple diptych!
Declarations of love
Surrounded by a heart,
Remains of goal posts
Day out with family -
A million tell-tale signs
The best of life is free.

Where the River Inagh
Melds with the sea.
Touch the wall at the bridge
Return on the gently yielding sand
Sun warming my face
Breeze blowing my hair in the right direction.
Eyes watering – Ocean sparkling
Stealing a piece of my heart.
Raucous laughter of seabirds -
Lazer-lit against cerulean sky - 
Reminds me of children now grown.

Stillness of rock pools - deep as my soul,
Flotsam and jetsam by the ocean thrown,
The odd jellyfish – admire but avoid,
Shell abandoned by predatory raptor –
Unsuspecting sea creature
Fate Encountered

All that remains.

By Anne Murray Browne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WATER COLOUR LEARNING LOG - ONE A WEEK WATER COLOUR PAINTING CHALLENGE 2018